Posts for category: Dental Procedure
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are not just a restorative procedure but are vital for providing your jawbone with its necessary strength. Your dentists in Jericho and Burlington, VT, Dr. Paul Dunkling and Dr. Greg Penney, are here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your bones without the support it needs. If you decide to get a dental implant, here's what you need to know about the 4-step process:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will remove any tooth left and insert a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course (titanium fuses to the jawbone to provide reinforcement).
- When you return, your Jericho and Burlington dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment, and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- Implants can have a high success rate, reaching 95 percent.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They are used to anchor dentures.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Dunkling and Dr. Penney can help you out. Call their offices in Jericho and Burlington, VT, to make an appoint today!
According to the Ameican College of Prosthodontists, crowns are the most common restorative procedure. Concealing unattractive teeth, just as your Jericho and Burlington, VT, dentists, Drs. Paul Dunkling and Greg Penney.
What are crowns used for?
- They're used to conceal unattractive teeth that may be discolored, misshaped, or in need of more support
- Dentists file down damaged teeth with chips and cracks are to fit under the dental crown
- Crowns are used to conceal restorative procedures, like dental implants and root canals
- They can also conceal gaps in your smile if your Jericho and Burlington dentists install a bridge above your gumline.
Types of Crowns
Crowns, also known as caps, are sometimes confused with veneers, although they are completely different. Veneers are placed on the surface of your teeth. Veneers also serve a purely aesthetic purpose. Crowns have a structural function, which is why they come in a variety of materials: porcelain crowns, also known as dental ceramics or porcelain-fused-to-metal, which has a metal interior and a porcelain exterior.
Taking Care of your Crowns
Crowns don't require special care, but there are a few steps you can take to help you maintain a strong and bright smile:
- You need to brush twice a day for a duration of 2 minutes each time and floss at least once a day. A healthy oral regimen will reduce the buildup of tartar.
- Speaking of tartar, which is the hardening of plaque, you should avoid sugar-filled foods and opt for a healthier diet.
- Avoid chewing tobacco and smoking, since they only cause the deterioration of your teeth.
To schedule an appointment with your Jericho and Burlington, VT, dentists, Drs. Paul Dunkling and Greg Penney anything in regards to dental crowns, just call (802) 863-3479 for the Burlington office and (802) 899-3973 for the Jericho office. Don't hesitate to call. Your smile is a priority!
A duller smile or missing teeth don't have to be unavoidable consequences of aging. Burlington and Jericho, VT, dentists Dr. Paul Dunkling and Dr. Greg Penney of Dunkling and Penney Dentistry explain how you can transform your smile with dental implants and veneers.
Dental implants restore missing teeth
Missing teeth don't just affect your smile now, but can continue to affect your appearance and oral health for years. Missing tooth roots cause your jawbone to recede. If the bone becomes weak enough, some of your teeth may loosen and your facial muscles may begin to droop, enhancing the effects of aging. Losing a tooth can also increase your risk of cavities if your remaining teeth begin to shift. Shifting teeth often overlap and trap cavity-causing plaque in the overlapping sections. Dental implants prevent jawbone recession and shifting teeth.
Dental implants rebuild missing teeth starting from the roots. Implants are actually tiny titanium posts that are placed in openings made in your jawbone. Once the implants are in place, they slowly begin to bond to your jawbone, a process that normally takes about three to six months. Implants replace your tooth roots, while an artificial teeth called crowns are used to replace the portion of teeth visible above the gumline. When the two pieces are joined together, you'll have a replacement tooth that's just as strong as the one you lost.
Veneers transform your smile
Sometimes the best way to address a problem is to conceal if from view. Dental veneers are thin layers of porcelain that hide many types of tooth flaws. After a small amount of tooth enamel is removed, the veneers are cemented to your teeth in our Burlington or Jericho office. Caring for veneers is easy and only requires flossing and brushing with a non-abrasive toothpaste.
Veneers are very resistant to stains, which makes them an excellent alternative to teeth whitening treatments. If you use veneers for this purpose, you can even pick the ideal shade of white for your smile. In addition to teeth whitening, veneers are used to cover discolorations, cracks, bumps, chips and gaps between teeth. They also provide a simple way to change the shape or length of a tooth.
Ready for a big change in your smile? Make an appointment with dentists Drs. Paul Dunkling and Greg Penney of Dunkling and Penney Dentistry by calling (802) 863-3479 for the Burlington, VT, office or (802) 899-3973 for the Jericho, VT, office.
Let porcelain veneers improve your smile
Dental veneers made of beautiful, sparkling porcelain are the go-to treatment to give you a celebrity-perfect smile. You deserve to look your best, and porcelain veneers can help you do just that. Porcelain veneers can improve your smile in many ways and your dentists at Dunkling & Penney Dentistry in Burlington, Vermont want to help you discover the magic of porcelain veneers.
Your dentists at Dunkling & Penney Dentistry want you to know how porcelain veneers can improve your smile. Porcelain veneers can improve the look of teeth that are:
- Broken or damaged from injury or trauma
- Yellowed and stained from drinking coffee or smoking
- Badly chipped, cracked or worn from aging and overuse
- Gapped or spaced apart from genetics
- Darkly stained from medications like tetracycline
You should consider porcelain veneers because very little tooth surface is removed, making them a conservative solution to correct many cosmetic dental issues. They are also very natural-looking because your dentists at Dunkling & Penney Dentistry will color-match the porcelain perfectly to provide a seamless and beautiful smile custom-made for you.
An added benefit is that they are stain-resistant according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. They don’t pick up stains the way your natural teeth do. This makes them a perfect solution for smokers and coffee drinkers who still want a bright white smile.
You should consider porcelain veneers for a special event like a wedding or reunion when you want to look your best. They are also a perfect choice if you want to improve your smile for an important job interview, to help you make a great first impression.
Porcelain veneers are a beautiful option to improve your smile, and can last for years with proper care. You can look your best with a younger, whiter smile. Porcelain veneers are an investment, so stop in and visit the best, your dentists at Dunkling & Penney Dentistry with offices in Burlington, and Jericho, Vermont to serve your needs. Call today and improve your smile with porcelain veneers!
What’s So Great about CEREC Dental Crowns? The benefits of CEREC dental crowns.
You’ve been told you need a crown to fix a tooth with a huge broken metal filling. You can’t decide if you want a gold crown, porcelain fused to metal or pure porcelain crown. The problem that bothers you most is how long it will take to get the crown, at least two appointments. Plus in the meantime, you are stuck wearing a temporary crown. You just don’t know what to do. It’s time to try a CEREC crown, created at Dunkling and Penney Dentistry, with two offices in Jericho and Burlington, Vermont to serve your needs.
Typically, when you need a crown, you have an initial appointment where your tooth is prepared to receive the crown. Molds are taken of your teeth and sent off to the dental laboratory where technicians create your crown. Your crown is shipped back to the office, and it is permanently cemented on your tooth at a second appointment. The problem is how long it takes, and you are left wearing an undesirable temporary crown while you wait.
CEREC crowns are the result of a unique one-visit technique to provide you with a beautiful new porcelain crown, right in the office! CEREC crowns are made with a computer assisted technology known as “CAD-CAM” which designs and also manufactures your crown to exact specifications. The crown fits perfectly the first time, and the best part is, it’s made right in the office, instead of at a dental laboratory. This is good news for you! You don’t have to wait to receive your beautiful porcelain crown, and you don’t have to wear an ugly, poorly fitting temporary crown!
So, if you want to save time and the discomfort of wearing a temporary crown, CEREC is the system for you. CEREC crowns are beautiful and will give you a sparkling smile quickly and easily. Don’t see just any dentist; see a CEREC expert like the professionals at Dunkling and Penney Dentistry, in Jericho and Burlington, Vermont. Call today and be on your way to a sparkling new smile with CEREC!