Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are not just a restorative procedure but are vital for providing your jawbone with its necessary strength. Your dentists in Jericho and Burlington, VT, Dr. Paul Dunkling and Dr. Greg Penney, are here to help and advise you!
What's a dental implant?
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss can lead to the deterioration of your bones without the support it needs. If you decide to get a dental implant, here's what you need to know about the 4-step process:
- A local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo the procedure.
- Your dentist will remove any tooth left and insert a titanium post into the jawbone. The titanium post acts as the new tooth root and is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
- The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course (titanium fuses to the jawbone to provide reinforcement).
- When you return, your Jericho and Burlington dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment, and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- Implants can have a high success rate, reaching 95 percent.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- They are used to anchor dentures.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Dunkling and Dr. Penney can help you out. Call their offices in Jericho and Burlington, VT, to make an appoint today!