The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that one of 4 American adults have undiagnosed or untreated cavities. Could this be you?
Tooth decay concerns the dental care team at Dunkling and Penney Dentistry in Burlington, VT. Not only do cavities impact tooth structure by invading enamel and even inner dentin and pulp, they frequently come with other serious issues such as gum disease, a leading cause of tooth loss in the United States.
Your Cavity Problem
If you suspect you have one or more untreated cavities, Drs. Paul Dunkling and Greg Penney want to see you for an examination as soon as possible in their Burlington or Jericho office. They cite several symptoms of dental decay:
- tooth sensitivity to hot or cold food and beverages (coffee, ice cream, lemonade)
- a change in your normal tooth color, especially in between teeth or at the gum line
- sudden, sharp tooth pain when biting or chewing
- a continuous toothache
- sensitivity to sugary foods such as candy or cake frosting
Treating a Cavity
Drs. Dunkling and Penney take gentle care of their patients' dental problems, including cavity treatment. Depending on the extent of the damage to tooth structure, they offer:
- durable, metal-free white fillings which blend in with the natural color of enamel, as well as amalgam or gold fillings for larger fillings on back teeth
- porcelain crowns to cover remaining healthy tooth structure, strengthening and beautifying misshapen, severely decayed or injured teeth
- comfortable root canal therapy or endodontics to remove infected inner pulp and seal and crown the outer tooth structure
Ultimately, cavity treatment saves teeth. Your Burlington, VT dentists want to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible. They understand that the loss of even one tooth adversely impacts neighboring teeth, leading to tooth drifting and gum and jaw bone recession.
Paul Dunkling DDS and Greg Penney DDS also understand that some patients are afraid of dental treatment - even simple fillings. Rest assured that patient comfort is a high priority and all restorative procedures come with the option of local anesthetics and oral sedation for a relaxed, pain-free procedure.
Prevention is Everything
Good at-home dental hygiene and semi-annual exams and professional cleanings at Dunkling and Penney Dentistry foster good oral health. As the American Dental Association recommends, brush your teeth twice daily for 2 minutes, and floss every day to remove bacteria-filled plaque which leads to dental decay. Also, when Dr. Dunkling or Penney examine your teeth and gums regularly, they inspect for signs of decay, catching and treating problems at their earliest stages.
If you have symptoms of dental decay, or just haven't been to the dentist in a while, call Dunkling and Penny Dentistry for an appointment. These Burlington dentists deliver modern, individualized dental services to keep smiles healthy, comfortable and attractive for years to come. In Burlington, call (802) 863-3479. In Jericho, phone (802) 899-3973.